Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Cursed Christians

It's a sad tendency in the Body of Christ:  Christ believers who see themselves as "cursed by God."  They feel like they have the anti-Midas touch, whatever they do turns golden opportunities into rusty results.  They've lost a sense of God's blessing (something that Paul was adament to claim--for himself as well as his converts--despite his detractors, see Gal. 4:12-15).  According to Paul, this happens when Christians fall under the spell of believing we are supposed to earn God's blessing, deserve His favor, by keeping the law.  Therefore, these law-abiders believe they're getting what they deserve when bad things happen to them.  Break God's law and you endure divine punishment.  It's as if God were playing "whack the mole" in the game of sin managment.  But, after a while, suffering the body blows of life's disappointments, many give up trying to please the impossible standard of God's reciprocal love.  "I'm cursed by God."

There's so much wrong here, I don't know where to begin.  But, let me start with this:  God's love cannot be earned.  He loves us regardless.  We call it grace (Paul's favorite way of describing the economy of God's salvation).  Since we cannot earn His blessing, neither can we incite His wrath--as if He loses patience and finally "let's us have it."  How do I know this for certain?  Because, if that's the way God works, on a quid pro quo basis, then the cross means nothing.

It's sad how many Christ believers cannot see the cross of Jesus as a blessing, the grace of God that changes everything.  In loss we find gain, in weakness we are strong, in giving power away we are empowered, in death we live.  Because of Christ, none of us are cursed by God.  Period.

What's even sadder to me is how many Christians point out the weaknesses of other believers and call it a curse, the failures of others and call it divine punishment.  "Look.  She's getting what she deserves."  To which Paul would reply:  "On the contrary, none of us deserve the cross of Jesus.  It is the sheer, blessed grace of God."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

God playing whack-a-mole in the game of sin management is priceless. Great metaphor.

Which is not to detract from your larger point. It's like the cross doesn't color our vision at all anymore...

Anonymous said...

Are you sure about this? I have lived a life of wasted talent and squandered opportunity because I have believed I am cursed by God. I am the living embodiment of the unworthy one who has "put his hand to the plow and looked back". The blessings that others take for granted have passed me by and I have found no other explanation except that something about me or something I did or something I did not do has caused me to be unworthy of God's love and completely beyond His ability to bless me with success in any part of my life. I have lived a life that has made no difference, has counted for nothing, I see myelf as a modern day King Saul. I comprehend your words but you do not live my life, think my thoughts or pray my prayers. My losses have brought gain to others, my weakness has been exploited by those more cunning, my attempt to serve others has only emboldened them to be more arrogant and close minded in their dealings with me. You live in an academic environment where the finer theoretical points of differing ideas are debated and there is little hanging in the balance of that outcome. In my world hope exists only in your phrase "in death we live". I lost my way a long, long time ago and despite tears and prayers I can't seem to find it again. I find joy in a few very simple things but not in the knowledge that I have the ability to help others in need, or that I have overcome great obstacles to build a career and provide opportunities for others. I understand that it's not only about sin managemnt but "whack the mole" is a different game for the mole. You may not want this type of comment but "I'm cursed by God" has been the story of my adult life, it struck home to me. I guess I need to accept that fact that my life has meant so little and it's my fault not God's.

Rodney Reeves said...

Anonymous,

How do you make sense of Jesus' cry from the cross, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?"

And, correlate that with your statement, "I have found no other explanation except that something about me or something I did or something I did not do has caused me to be unworthy of God's love and completely beyond His ability to bless me with success in any part of my life."