Thursday, March 05, 2020

Manly Strength

At first I thought it was a joke.

I received an invitation to attend a "Stronger Men" conference at a church in another state, where the Friday night entertainment will be a professional boxing match.

"Surely this can't be right," I mumbled to myself.  "Maybe I've misunderstood."  I checked the flyer they had sent in the mail.  I recognized the featured guest speaker--a famous retired professional boxer.  "Maybe they covered the brochure with pictures of professional boxing because of him."  But, as I read the details, it soon dawned on me that, yes, the highlight of the weekend--right there in the church building?--they're going to sponsor a professional boxing match.  At that moment, my imagination got the best of me, envisioning two fighters going at each other, blood splattered all over the ring, men roaring with approval as they take in the testosterone-driven spectacle, with Jesus standing in the corner saying to no one in particular, "So, this is what it's come to."

I have to tell you I'm sick and tired of this nonsense, where churches are trying to feed the worldly, macho-man narrative that's supposed to help salve our male insecurities.  Jesus--the true man--has shown us a better way.

The world says, "a real man beats up his opponents."  Jesus told his disciples, "Turn the other cheek."

The world says, "a strong man believes in vigilante justice."  Jesus taught his disciples, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

The world says, "a man's strength is muscular."  Jesus told Paul, "Power is perfectly revealed in weakness."

The world says, "boast in your strength."  Paul said he'd rather boast in his weakness because of the cross of Jesus--where the weakness of God is stronger than any man.

Indeed, it takes a really strong man and woman to pick up a cross and follow Jesus--something the world will never understand.

No comments: